Friday 12 October 2007

Impressions...

Impressions I (Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, August 2004)

Driving south – no sun in the sky
Rainclouds hiding the blue
The town appears
Out of nowhere
Behind the hill
Terraced houses in parallel lines
Spreading all over the valley
Snaking up the hills in sleepy desolation
Once the biggest town in the country
Now degraded to the size of a village
Almost oblivious of its former glory
They say it's a ghost town now
Half deserted and half asleep
Its people betrayed by history
Deprived of their dreams of a brighter day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


Impressions II (Cardiff, August 2004)

Raindrops and city lights
Never go to sleep
No idea where I'm going
North or South, East or West
No sign to indicate the way
Will my restless soul arrive one day?
Rows of houses
Illuminated windows
Thousands of people I still haven't met
Thousands of people I want to know
Will I wander around forever
Looking for THE place to stay?

No comments: